Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Maple Sandwich Cookies

1 c butter or margarine, softened
3/4 c packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 tsp maple flavoring
2 c flour
sugar

Filling:
1 1/4 c powdered sugar
2 Tbsp milk
2 Tbsp butter or margarine, softened
1/2 tsp maple flavoring

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Beat in the egg, maple flavoring, and flour; mix well. Shape into 1" balls. Roll in sugar. Place up 2" apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with smooth bottom of a glass. Bake at 325 degrees for 10-12 min or til golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.

Combine filling ingredients in a small mixing bowl; beat til smooth. Spread on the bottom half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Makes about 3 dozen.

3 comments:

Reyna said...

Oooh, I was looking for this sort of recipe! Question: do they spread a lot? I want to recreate those maple leaf shaped sandwich cookies you can buy in Canada, so I'm wondering if these will keep their shape if I use a cookie cutter. They sound really good :).

Melanie said...

I don't remember them spreading much, but it's been a while since I made them. The next time I do, I'll be sure to leave a comment here about it.

Melanie said...

UPDATE: I made these cookies again and tweaked the recipe a bit and modified it here on my site. The dough is really soft when you make it, so you wouldn't be able to roll it out in order to cut it into shapes as is. Maybe if you used real butter in the dough and chilled the dough for a while you could, but I'm not convinced. The cookies don't spread too much, but I think they do spread enough so that they wouldn't hold a shape from a cookied cutter. If you do try it out, please leave a comment letting me know how it worked. Thanks!