Thursday, March 20, 2008

Grandma's Meatballs

This definitely one of my comfort foods. I remember my grandma making these meatballs frequently when I was growing up (and she still does).

When I was young, she and my grandpa used to take us cousins camping with them every summer in their camper. These meatballs were always served at atleast one meal on our camping trip. One year I remember her saying that she made 72 meatballs for us hungry campers!

We usually serve mashed potatoes with this. The recipe's gravy is so good served over the potatoes!

When my grandma gave me this recipe, it didn't have amounts for the minced onion, cracker crumbs, or ketchup. I don't usually measure how much of them I put in the recipe, but I've included estimated amounts for each.

The recipe can easily be doubled (or tripled or more).

1 lb ground beef (thawed)
1 egg
minced onioin (about 1 Tbsp)
cracker crumbs (about 1/3 c)
ketchup (about 1 Tbsp)
1 can tomato soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup

In a bowl, mix together first 5 ingredients. Shape into balls and place in 9x13 pan. Mix together soups in a bowl and add a little water so that the soup mixture is pourable. Pour soup mixture over meatballs, covering all. Cover pan with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hr or til meatballs are done. Makes about 24 meatballs.

No comments: